Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Latest...

Well, I wish I had a picture of two for today's post. I have always been more of the picture book type... you know skip the words and look at the pictures. Oh well. All the adventures of late have been without the camera in hand.
This past weekend, Parker and I had the opportunity to do a fireside/devotional for the priests and laurels in our ward. It was such a good experience and I am so grateful that we were able to do it. The youth were having a retreat at a cabin about an hour away. The roads there were so winding!!! I have never been car sick in my life, but my tummy on this trip was a bit queasy.
After we got there we were able to share the message around the campfire. The topic which we were to speak on was dating and preparing now for marriage. It was fun to share experiences with them... it is amazing to me that it wasn't that long ago when I was their age!
This past weekend I was also in charge of sharing time in primary. It was on serving others as a family. We memorized Mosiah 2:17, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." It was neat to hear the children share their experiences in serving others as a family. It reminded me of all the things we did together as a family growing up. It was important to my dad that we learned the value of service and I am grateful for that. I remember shoveling snow with him, raking leaves for others as a family, making cookie-flower bouquets for single sisters in our ward on Valentine's, I remember visiting the home bound every Sunday, I remember going for walks and picking up litter (my sister and I loved this one...), I remember my mom sewing dresses for less fortunate girls in our ward and leaving them anonymously (I remember feeling a little childish selfishness for that one, but I do remember the first time they walked in in their new dresses and that selfishness seemed to fade away with their smiling faces). I remember doorbell ditching cookies (poorly decorated with experimental frosting colors). I definitely remember doing the 12 days of Christmas for less fortunate families in the ward. This was always a highlight of the Christmas season.
I am so excited for Christmas this year! I love the feeling that accompanies that time of year... However, I am going to miss the snow!!! I love to cuddle up on the couch and watch it snow. I just love that feeling. Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. Alexis,
    I didn't have your email address to send you an invite to view our blog. If you could send it to nataleechat@hotmail.com, I'll send you one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I have all of those same memories :) So fun to see you last week!

    ReplyDelete